Take the time to acknowledge the achievements of your colleagues and their tireless commitment to the performing arts. Join us Monday, August 29 for the Opening Plenary & Annual Awards Ceremony to celebrate the best and brightest in our field. You will find a complete list of previous award winners online.
Award nominations must be received by June 24.
The Governance Committee is seeking candidates for Board President, Vice President, and Directors – there are 3 open director seats. Your participation will help ensure the strength of WAA's Leadership by nominating qualified members.
To nominate a colleague please use the online form and submit with a separate letter of support, a current resume and letter of interest from the nominee.
Board nominations must be received by April 29.
The WAA Board of Directors is committed to advancing the performing arts through innovative thinking and ground-breaking initiatives. WAA’s capacity to meet member needs now and in the future depends on sound governance and stewardship.
- Determine policies and ensure their implementation.
- Establish, implement, and evaluate ongoing strategic plans for WAA.
- Establish objective and long-range plans; aid the officers and staff of WAA in achieving these plans.
- Establish a working relationship with the members, i.e., by asking questions, listening to their concerns, speaking on their behalf, and generally serving their needs.
- Give all meetings and activities pertaining to WAA high priority on their calendar of commitments.
- Attend the annual conference and actively recruit and encourage others in the region to join WAA and attend WAA events.
- Chair and/or serve on at least one committee.
- Volunteer for those committee assignments and other activities in which they can best function for the good of the organization.
- Establish close contact with and an understanding of other board members and the WAA staff.
- Participate in an annual board evaluation process.
- Oversee the administrative operations of the organization, including the hiring, contracting, and evaluation of the Executive Director.
- Approve and review WAA's annual budget and annual report.
- Delegate to officers of WAA special managerial and fiscal powers, authorizing them to handle corporate accounts, contracts, etc.
- Do all they can to enhance the financial position of the organization by increasing membership and attendance at the annual conference, and by providing input into any fundraising activities and/or discussions.
- Support WAA by making a meaningful financial gift to the organization each calendar year. Solicit the financial, in-kind, and political support of others, including employers and friends, and obtain a minimum amount (as determined annually by the board) in actual donations, made to WAA each fiscal year, in addition to the personal contribution.
- On the basis of study and innovative thought, to be involved fully in all of the deliberations and decisions affecting the organization as both a knowledgeable pursuer of “old business” and an aggressive proposer of “new business.”
Board Candidate Requirements:
A. The nominee:
- Has at least three years experience in the field of touring and presenting the performing arts.
- Is able to commit to a minimum of 3-4 hours per week to WAA committee work, board and committee assignments, and attend all scheduled board meetings (3 a year).
- Possesses leadership skills that will positively affect areas of importance to the organization including: financial management, personnel or business management, professional development, membership development, and fundraising/development.
- Can demonstrate participation in volunteer activities in the field via local organizations, state consortia, WAA committees, etc.
B. The nominee shall possess the ability to:
- Act, first and foremost, as a trustee of the entire organization, while also attending to the concerns of individual members and balancing regional needs.
- Propose creative solutions to problems facing the field and embody the rules of ethical behavior that are promoted by WAA.
- Represent and/or consider the needs of constituencies that have not been effectively served by WAA in the past.
C. The nominee shall, if not already a member of WAA, agree to join the organization within 30 days of election.