About the Performance Opportunity
Western Arts Alliance (WAA) in partnership with A C Orange, a promoter based in Shenzhen, China, is organizing a ten-day China Tour in the Spring of 2016. Members of WAA (or roster artists represented by a Western Arts Alliance member), may apply to be considered by A C Orange for performances during the tour. If accepted, the artist(s) will be fully engaged by A C Orange (artist fee, travel, hotel, per diem, etc.) the last week of April or first week of May.
- Any WAA-affiliated artist (either a direct member or a roster-artist of a WAA member) may apply.
- The application period opens September 23, 2015 and closes October 22, 2015. Applications will only be accepted by IWantToShowcase.com. The application fee is $100.
- Applications will be adjudicated by the WAA Showcase Committee, who will be charged with selecting 12-15 semifinalists.
- A C Orange will select the final artists and alternates, issue invitations, and begin negotiation with the artist representatives.
- The A C Orange deal will be a typical performance contract: travel from their base city, all travel in Greater China, per diem, artist fee, freight, etc.
- Tour Dates: last week of April or first week of May
Deadline, Fees, & Eligibility
- Deadline: October 22, 2015 @ 5pm PST
- *Application Fee: $100 (non-refundable)
- The artist MUST be a current WAA member or a roster-artist of a WAA member
- Applicants MUST produce evidence of at least two years touring experience.
*The application fee helps support the China project and tour, including special hospitality, educational programs, local ground transportation for the group, for artists, presenters, and agents along the tour.
The application package must include the following:
- Completed online application form through IWantToShowcase
- Artist Statement, maximum 750 characters.
- Touring History: including date, location, presenting organization, and presenter contact information. This history does not have to be comprehensive, but should include a minimum of three engagements within the last twelve months.
- A stage plot and technical rider specific to the proposed Showcase.
- Current Artist Bio / EPK. To include:
- production photos
- feature articles
- at least one review (in English) published within the last year including the name of publication and date OR a testimonial letter from a presenter that speaks to the artistic quality of the work in performance.
- One high-resolution digital photo for print and online publication. Upload file as artist’s name_org_name. Include in the application or EPK the name of the artist and piece photographed, and the representing agency and crediting photographer where applicable. 8 MB max, jpeg only.
- Audio and/or video samples of a live performance featuring the work that you will tour. Do not submit promotional video.
- $100 Application Fee
Western Arts Alliance (WAA) will use the Showcase Committee as a peer jury to select candidates to submit to A C Orange for review. The jury is composed of five presenters and two agents/managers from a broad range of disciplines and aesthetics. The jury may select a maximum of fifteen artists to advance to the final round for selection by A C Orange. A C Orange will review the finalists and select three to four artists for the tour. Finalists will be notified by November 1, and the selected artists will be announced by Mid-November.
- WAA and A C Orange are looking for a range of disciplines and aesthetics. Be sure to include the tech rider for the work you proposing to tour.
- Depending on the final selection by A C Orange, the artists engaged on the China Tour may share a split bill.
- Because of the high cost of international touring, preference will be given to smaller ensembles or companies.
- The goal is to have invitations to the artists or their representatives by mid-November so that the grant applications for tour support could be submitted to US Arts International by the December 4, 2015 deadline.
Complete the application form in its entirety and submit all required materials; incomplete applications will not be reviewed by the panel.
WAA expects the showcase jury will review approximately 100 applications. Please give careful consideration to your artistic samples—first impressions are very important! The jury will not consider promotional videos, TV news features, etc. as part of artistic assessment.
Less is more. The jury likes to see/hear a variety of work from each artist. However, you are best served by capturing a range of your best work on a single video and/or audio. It is unlikely the jury will spend more than three minutes listening to or watching your sample(s).